Sunday, March 31, 2024

Kaijin no Karashrer: Epilogue

Epilogue

Years ago.

At a 1900-style suburban mall.


"You have to cherish it. Never lose sight of it."

I whisper to you.

You, the warm being in my arms whom look straight at me with your blue eyes.

I was just a mere cold machine doll made of chrome and cables. This warmth. This life. The last precious thing possessed them.

"Life. Warmth. Never lose it. It's the last thing, and it is very precious."

I remember your name.

To be precise, your information was scanned from a storage area.

It was easy to find. Of the 312 who took refuge in the Wilmar Shopping Mall, the last stronghold of hope, you were the only one who made it out alive.

Parents were ominous. Origins: Country A. A 2nd generation immigrant from Country F. Age is estimated to be 6 years old.

The name is Kyrie.

Their last name is unknown to me.

Were too young to have known your last name when the world ended? Or had your memory been loss the moment you witnessed your family's death?

"Please, Kyrie."

"No."

I pointed at the ventilation shaft once more, and you shook your head once more.

---Why?

"I want to protect you."

"Thank you. You're such a kind child, Kyrie."

It made me smile.

It was the first time anyone has said something like that to me.

You had kindness and bravery.

But no...

"You're still young, so you aren't aware. That is going to come here any minute now. At that moment, it won't be me it's targeting but you."

"Okay."

"Kyrie..."

"I love your smiling face. So you should run away, big sister Gene." 

What did they mean exactly?

I was speechless.

Those blue eyes, that which were full of courage and determination.

I knew the feeling in those eyes.

A great sense of responsibility and a sense of duty. With unwavering faith, people have tried to find a way to live while facing the world's end. Scholars. Citizens who never wielded a gun before and were supposed to live a peaceful life. An immigrant who knew of life and death, Immates who escaped from prison.

Everyone died.

They were killed by that Thing, which was still searching for any signs of life through making heavy bass sounds.

His family died protecting him. They died died protecting a stranger. They died protecting their kid.

Some people even died to protect me.

Now, they had the same eyes as them.

"Stop it."

I had no life.

Nothing will happen even if you protected me.

This was neither connecting generations or creating them. It was nothing.

Only you can do that.

The only precious thing left in this world. Kyrie.

"You are my most precious thing."

 "A..."

"I've already made up my mind."

I felt overwhelmed, nearly so---

Stop it. Don't do it.

I tried my best to make an expression.

A smile. If I could say it with this expression, even if you try to coerce me, I can try this to convince you. The little you. Strong-willed, no, stubborn and troubled.

Pay attention to my pseudo face expression.

May I hope this brings a smile on your face.

I wasn't a model with perfect human flesh, so at best, this is what I can do but...

"...If you really made up your mind, I will accept it. But for now, run away from here. I will surely catch up to you later, so go on ahead."

"But first--"

"Yes?"

"Where will we go?"

"Somewhere far, a place where you won't have to use up your own life."

"There's no such place like that anymore."

You tilted your head so curiously.

That heavy bass sound overlapped at the end of each word.

The vibration. It was coming closer.

"I do. I'm sure of it. I promise that I'll come with you."

You---

It was at this moment that I devoted most of my memory in maintaining an unfamiliar expression. I didn't notice it right away, even though I recognize it clearly.

I didn't understand it.

Those blue eyes were submerged in a dark color.

I could see the hands of a black clock at the edge of the young one's eyes.

"You can run away, big sister."

You say, pointing at the ventilation ducks.

How dare you imitate me.

You truly are a stubborn child.

Small and fragile, yet full of bravery.

"...I won't run away. If I go, you have to come with me, Kyrie."

I hugged you as you were slightly trembling, who was overflowing with warmth.

To protect you from the concrete debris that fell from earthquakes. To protect you from all of the dangers of the world. This was the first time I made my own decision.

If I can't convince you.

If you say you'll die to protect me.

Then I cannot allow you to do that.

Absolutely, I cannot.

If you do that, if you aren't going to run away, if you can't leave me with such determination in your eyes, then there's only one thing I have to do.


---I will search for it.


A safe place where you can protect me. The Last Place.

Even if everything on the planet is just as bad as here, if not worse.

Even if the world has ended.

I will search it for you.


---Together with you.

---The Sanctuary where you can live.


FIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment